Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ironman Lessons and Cambodian Pix.

Well the season and has started but not without some ups and downs. 

The down part I will keep short. Race morning I woke and was feeling ok just the usual pre race nerves. Got in the water and before the gun even went off I started to throw up. My breaky floated around me as I took off. The swim felt like a million miles long but I finished it and was very glad to get on solid ground. I saw Kim and Sue Sarah Vic and Pete and thought as long as I get some food in straight away all should be ok. 
Out on the bike things went from bad to worse. The food and drink just would not stay in and I just got weaker and weaker. By the time I got off the bike in transition I was seeing stars and knew I was in EPIC trouble. I made it t the 1 km mark of the run and made the hard decision to pull out. 
Malaysia was the only race I have ever had not finished so this was killing me. Once I had pulled out though I knew I had made the right choice. I kept dry reaching for hours.
The good part was that not all was lost as I was able to watch my SUPER DUPER boyfriend race the race of his life. Luke was amazing and won by over 5 mins. I was so excited and it made the day ok in the end. Your own ego is easily healed when the man that you love kicks some serious ass. 
24 hours later and Luke and I were at the awards waiting for him to do his winners speech when he got ill. The vomit come hard and fast and he went down quickly. Obviously whatever virus I had race morning he now had. Sadly he had to leave the presentation early and never got to make that speech. I spent the night looking after a very sick winner. 
Looking back I can see all the ways that I have grown this last year. Pulling out voluntarily was something I NEVER thought I would do but this is my job. There is 7 more races on my schedule this year and if I learnt nothing last year I learnt not to bury myself early in the season just to prove a point. My first idea post race was to switch from the half IM in China to the full but I have yet to shake this virus so the half  will stay. 

That race will still be there next year and Lukey will be back to defend his title and finally give that speech. 

Post race Sarah Luke and I went to the amazing Cambodia. This country is beautiful. The people are so soft and friendly. I loved every minute in spite of the first day being a wipe out from illness. I quickly recovered with the help of 8 dollar massages. The pictures below are just some of the amazing shots we took. We had a blast for 4 days and are now back on the Gold Coast heading home. 

Stay tuned 

Memphis x