Saturday, May 23, 2009

Pain and happiness!

Week 1 is in the bag.... I am in pain but only in the good way. This is the best way to get race ready bar none. I have been chasing Luke, Belinda and Justin around this island all week. It hurts a lot but is also so much fun. I can't believe the miles and I am still a little short on those 3. If I tried to do exactly the same as them I would self combust for sure. 
I have to say that the Granger's have one hell of a work ethic. It is really rubbing off on myself and Luke. Old momma and poppa Granger come from the school of "harden the F@$k up and ride".
I read Hillary's article in Inside Tri the other day and had to laugh. Every session with those two is a smash fest. All I can do is hang on and pray. Now I am not proclaiming to be able to hang on however with everyday I get closer to doing so. 
My legs rarely come home without the wobbles. I have turned a dark chocolate brown from the hours in the sun and my coffee addiction is at an all time high. You know you are getting somewhere when the 3 hour Wednesday run session ends with 10 miles an hour interval(@16kms an hour) and you are a bit bummed as you think you could have built up faster earlier. 
Kona is a funny place as most only come here before the race. We stick to the Queen K and rarely venture off the beaten Ironman track. Not any more. Luke has taken it upon himself to ride us all every which way but up the Queen K. Climbs that we never even knew about before are thanks to google maps. Poor Ben Sanson was lost on his first day here. I think the three of them blew him up with about 15 kms to go. ( I had been sent ahead due to my slow climbing abilities so missed the demolition) I hope he made it home in one piece. It will remain to been seen if he is brave enough to step out with Luke the "Dominator" and the "Granger Train" again anytime soon. 

Well its time to head off and cook some lamb cutlets.... YUM! 

Stay tuned 

Memphis x