Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Florida Bound!

Well everyone but us and the locals have left the island! Now it's just me and the Queen K. Oh and of course the Pacific Island Fitness center treadmill. 

Today is Tuesday and I am blogging up here on the side of the mountain. Luke and I moved ourselves up to Dawn's house last Tuesday. I have been dominating myself via my training plan by coach Kristian. I have loved every minute of it and am surrounded by the course that I so desperately want to qualify for again (as a pro). I tell you this is how you manage to keep the 2 weeks to go blues away. Train in Kona! 

Somedays I am racing Chrissy, some days it's Jo but everyday I am definitely not drafting ha ha ha. I have done so many Hawi and back rides I think I know this place back to front. Then the wind turns and blows straight in you face for the 2 hours back. You nearly break especially when you look up and think "Heck I don't remember this bit" but then "Bum Crack Hill" comes into view and you know you have made yet another day of torture. Oh wait it is not over yet as the Boss has you running 1.40 hour off the bike. Bugger!

Well all I know is that I am heading to Florida as fit as ever and with more quality running under my belt than I thought possible. 
Race day will come and I plan on putting myself in the hurt box. This year is the year of learning and I am finishing the season off with a bang.

My trusty bike "Valencia" and I are looking for a PB. At the beginning of the year I wanted to do a 3.45 marathon. So far not so good but I plan on keeping my promise to myself. This race is not about podiums or Kona slots... both of course would be nice. Instead it is about knowing that I am headed in the right direction. Knowing that all this hard work is paying off. That in spite of some lack luster results earlier in the year that this is what I am meant to be doing with myself.

Let's be clear though no matter what happens in Florida I will be back next year for round two. This sport is the best. I love it. I love that it is sooooo hard and kicks you in the ass. If there is one thing I like it's a good scrap. I love that not everyone has what it takes to come back time and time again. Luke was born with more talent than I will ever have but he has taught me that no amount of talent will help you unless you work hard. He has proved that hard work is rewarded. He won IM Japan in June. 

I look forward to posting some pre race pics and news as Florida draws closer

Stay tuned 
Memphis