Saturday, March 8, 2008

IRONMAN NEW ZEALAND

Hi Everyone,

I am back on the Gold Coast after last weekends IM New Zealand.

I did a PB time in the race and finished 13th in my first race as a professional.

However to be honest I was REALLY disappointed as I spent a total of 10-15 mins on the side of the road during the bike leg with MASSIVE ass cramps. It was just 5 kms out of the swim transition and there was really no reason for it which is sooooooooooo frustrating. It happened 5 separate times during the day.... on the bike off the bike on the bike off the bike I was never in a rhythm the weather was terrible , blowing a gale, but I really hung tough and finished the bike hard. I PBed my swim by 5 mins which was such a great start... the swimming training with the 16 year old super fish paid off. In the end my bike time was OK 5.40 but I am now a 5.20/30 rider. I went into the run with sever pain down my glutes but had to finish as I have promised myself that even if I walk I would get over that line. With 10kms to go I found a glimpse of the run legs that I had worked on over the last few weeks and ran home soooooooooo hard. I ended up with a PB as I mentioned but as you can see no where near what I was expecting. But you all know that I am a fighter and I will be back to fight another day on April 20 with IM China.

I have pulled up OK .... I will now take only a few days off and go to Sydney for 4 days work. Then it's off to the sunny coast with Belinda G, Luke and Mathias for some good hard training before Port Macquarie... I am not doing that race but my boy Lukey is. YAY go LUKEY!!!!!

I absolutely loved racing hard and feeling the pressure. I was beaten by a few age grouper too which sucks but it makes me even more determined to get it all right in the next race. I was so glad that one out of the three legs was a good reflection of how hard I have been training.... next time it will be all three. The best thing about this decision that I have made to be pro is that I know that I have created the opportunity for myself to go at it again in just a few more weeks.

I live with no regrets and I heard a great quote the other day

"Champions take chances and the pressure is a privilege"

While I am yet to be a champion, I am here in this life of mine willing to take this chance. This chance will pay off and I know that it is a privilege to have all of my friends support me.

Thanks a million to everyone that sends an email of support!