Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Lake Stevens 70.3

Wow what a cool course. This course was not for the faint hearted. The swim was set out in the lake and the cycle wrapped around it. This course was up and down and very challenging. I was VERY pleased as it was right up my alley. As for the run finally a flat fast one... woo hoo!!!!! I made a pact with myself that as this was my lead in race for Vineman in a fortnight I would take it easy on the bike. I wanted to see if all the hard work that i had been putting in at training was paying off. I was 3rd out of the swim and was very happy with that. Out on the bike I stuck to my plan and took it (relativley) easy. I was passed by only 1 rider in my age group and I resisted chasing her. Very mature of me. Off the bike and onto the dreaded run. It's not a national secret that the run has always been my weak point in my racing however I have truly worked hard over the last few months. I have not been able to put it all together in a race until now. I felt great during the first lap and actually ran faster for the second lap. I was passed by one other girl in my age group but this was a vast improvement to the 4 or 5 that usually catch me. I ended up finishing in 4th with a very good time of 5.09 which included a PB for the run. All is looking great for Vineman which is a qualifier to KONA. Finally I had a race that I got everything right in. I am pretty sure I will be able to run even harder now that I know I wont blow up :) In the end my bike split was still a sub 2.45.