Friday, May 9, 2008

Getting back on the horse!!!!!

Well it's been 2, nearly 3 weeks since IM China and I finally feel good again. Whilst the race was hard it was not what you would call fast...ha ha ha. Race recovery is different every time for me. This time I took 2 weeks off and only swam, spun or walked once a day. Some days just a  stretch. Now this means that mentally I am now rested and ready to train hard and properly again. However that down side of 2 weeks off after a race and 1 and a 1/2 weeks of taper is that I gain too much weight. I am not what you would call the skinniest of triathletes to start with so it is quite noticeable. I don't worry about it too much as I am doing all the right things and all the right training now. It seems to fall off pretty quickly. Clearly choc chip cookies are now off the menu.

I have had a great opportunity over the last week to get some computrainer skill assessment for my bike. Erik from K- Swiss ( my new shoe sponsor, movies quoter extraordinaire and fellow IM Canada racer this year) has been amazing and has hooked us up. Previously my ability to sit on a wind trainer has been limited as I get completely bored out of my skull in about 15 mins. However this programme is FANTASTIC!!!!!! It shows you so many things and gives you so much to think about and to work on. I love it. I am looking forward to seeing how this affects my cycling over time. 

We have been lucky enough to be staying out the back of Malibu Canyon for the last 2 weeks and Erik, Jenni, David and Cheryl have made us feel like family.  The riding is spectacular and the trails are awesome.

I am off to Florida for the 70.3 next Friday. I have no idea how I will feel racing so soon after China but I will do my best as always. I will be heading straight over to Kona after the race for a massive IM training block leading into IM Japan. 

Take care and stay tuned!!!!
Memphis

PS. July 4th will be all time this year. Camping with the Corbins may be the seasons non racing highlite and I am getting excited.